Research Exploration: Reflection on Learning About Research

We're towards the end of our research class now, and our instructor has asked us to answer some reflective questions. 

Question One: What have you learned about the processes of designing a sound research study in class? 

In my research methods class I learned about the important details that go into a research study. I learned more of the terminology and structure of formal research reports. I’ve learned theoretical principles of research here and there before, but in this class I learned the most about literature reviews. I hadn’t actually done one before, but demonstrating the research foundations of your study makes perfect sense. I’m glad I had the chance to create a graduate-level one. 

Question Two: What have these processes taught you about your future roles as a technical/professional communicator and digital rhetorician? 

These processes have helped me learn about what research looks like in this specific field as I didn’t have a formal communication or rhetoric background before this program. They have helped me learn the patterns so I can generate my own research as a practitioner or continuing scholar. I certainly feel more prepared for a thesis or dissertation after reading the studies utilizing different methods for research. I like many of the areas and could see myself conducting a quantitative study in technical communication since I enjoy numbers and math. I find ethnographies and usability tests interesting as well as they are observation based and focus on what people are actually doing. There are many interesting possibilities in the field, which is heartening to see.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed working with you in this course. :) It's really fun to learn about all the possibilities for conducting research because then it feels like doors start opening. I feel like I could design multiple if I had the time and energy now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Research Exploration: Topic & Potential Sources

Research Exploration: Research Gap

Research Exploration